Monday, September 17, 2012

So much bullsh!t

Lots of stuff has gone down since my last post, so I'll just dive right in:
My Lupron dosage was lowered after my blood work and U/S on the 7th.  I also started Estrace the following Monday. I. AM. A. MESS. I'm tired, cranky, emotional, my breasts are sore and I'm breaking out worse than a nerd before Prom.  Oy.
I have my lining check this coming Friday, and I have a feeling that they'll be taking me off the Lupron and lowering my Estrace dosage.  I am so fluffy in there, that I can feel the weight change in my uterus.  It feels heavy and full like a huge water balloon.
The bullshit aspect of this post comes from a call I received from my aunt last Saturday. Our egg donor (who signed contracts and everything) was nowhere to be found.  *Poof* she just disappeared.  As she was supposed to start her meds this week, our RE's nurse was frantically calling this woman and after three days of leaving messages, the ED finally calls back and informs the nurse that she is in St. Louis because her father had been in a car accident.  I can understand rushing to the side of an ailing family member, but who runs off without informing their agency right before they're supposed to start their cycle?!  She informs the nurse that she won't be returning for another 2 or 3 weeks, so we'll just have to push the cycle back (GAH!).  I guess she thought that she was the goose in Jack and the Beanstalk, because she acted like her eggs were golden! 
 So, aunt and uncle decide to go with a donor who works through our fertility center, and everything is looking good until they go over the contract.  Apparently, if anything happens to the ED as a result of the donation process, IP's are held liable for all medical costs.  WHAT?  Yes, they were serious.  After an agonizing weekend of playing the what-the-hell-do-we-do-now game, the wonderful ED who works through our fertility center calls to tell us that she has her own (really good) coverage and that she will sign a statement saying that her insurance will be used in the case of any unforeseen complications.  THERE ARE STILL GOOD PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!  SO, after a very emotional weekend, we're still right on track and the new ED will be receiving her meds tomorrow. :)
Despite the emotional upheaval, something really good has come from all this: our previous ED's selling point was that she looked like IP's daughter and was a Yale grad, but she had never made a donation and didn't have any children of her own.  This made me nervous about the quality of her eggs.  However, our new ED has made two previous donations, both transferred 2 embryos, and both got pregnant with twins on the first try!  She may not be a Yale grad, but her eggs ARE golden! :)

3 comments:

  1. Everything happens for a reason!! Hang in there..almost time.

    Oh and yea, I remember that heaviness feeling while on meds before the transfer. It too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy schnikes batman! what a week! hopefully you're on track now and get some embies in there stat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally random comment: Just as an FYI, IPs being responsible for medical costs incurred as a result of the IVF/retrieval is standard. In fact, most clinics require IPs to purchase a separate policy for this so that they're merely paying a small premium as opposed to potentially being stuck with thousands of dollars of medical bills. OHSS, which is much more common than the written statistics indicate, is very serious and can be life and/or fertility threatening.

    Anyway, you're funny. :) I like reading this blog. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete