Saturday, February 11, 2012

Backstory

How did I get here?

It all started with a kiss from a handsome prince.  Well, not really.  He's had his bull(shit)frog moments, just as I have had my evil sorceress bitch moments, but I digress. 
My husband and I met in the summer of 2000, fell in love, and married in the spring of 2006. A little over a year later, our beautiful little girl was born, and we fell for her hard.  She is the meaning of our existence.  We know now that we were born so that she could be born.  Basically, we feel the same way every other parent feels about their children.

Anyway, as luck would have it, when I married him, I inherited his wonderful family.  I love these people as though they were my own family, and the feeling (as far as I know) is mutual.  So when members of my extended family ended up in a place where their last option to give their only child a sibling was finding someone to be a surrogate, I stepped up to the plate.  Before we go on, let me make it clear that I am not the ideal candidate for surrogacy, other than the fact that I am in possession of a healthy (I hope) uterus.  I am overweight, and have only one prior pregnancy that ended in a c-section and my near death of the spontaneous hemorrhaging of aforementioned uterus.  But I'm willing to try to give them the precious gift of a child, and they are willing to put their hopes and trust in me which I am extremely humbled by.

I am excited, nervous, curious, scared, anxious, and hopeful all at the same time (along with a whole host of other feelings that I can't quite name yet, but am hoping will become clearer as we go along).  We are not far along in the process yet. B&R, as they will be known from here on out, are still in the process of procuring an egg donor.  I have just started taking estrogen pills and am due to have a uterine scan in 2 weeks, to see if we can proceed with our surrogacy journey at all.  I've only been taking them for 24 hours, so none of the possible side effects have hit me yet, and I hope it stays that way.

And on that note, it's time to pick up my little peanut from my Mom, who had her and her cousins over for a pajama party last night.  I can't wait to give her a million kisses and tell her a million times that she is our everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment